Thought you should know . . . Lois continued to experience symptoms that were strange even after the Doctors decided not to do Chemo this past Wednesday. Yesterday afternoon she had a growing awareness of pain which increased in intensity in the evening. She slept most of the evening. Several times when I touched her forehead I wondered if she had a fever. About 11 pm she got up from the couch with the intention of going to the bathroom and then on to bed but she could hardly walk the pain was so intense.
We looked up some information and decided this was not normal – not even the “new normal” so we made the decision to go to the Emergency Room at the Sigourney Hospital. There we discovered she had a temp of 104, was dehydrated, the white cell count was high, the hemoglobin was down and the liver enzymes were out of whack. (That’s medical terminology!) The physical exam confirmed the area of the liver to be extremely sensitive – Lois recoiled when it was simply touched – and the liver is enlarged.
The Sigourney Hospital called the Oncologist on-call in Iowa City and together we decided that Lois should be transferred to the University Hospital so they can do tests to determine exactly what’s going on and suggest a possible treatment protocol. Lois got to ride in an ambulance since they wanted to keep her IV fluid drip going and manage the pain with morphine. Fortunately she didn’t have to go through the ER but was taken right to a room. She arrived in Iowa City about 3:15 am and I was an hour behind her since she gave me a list of items to pick up from home.
As I write this it is noon and she just had a CT scan. We expect them to do an ultra-sound and a chest x-ray within the next couple of hours. It’s still a challenge to stay ahead of the pain and keep the fever down – right now her temp is 103.1. She has waves of pain – she might have very little for a time but then it just rolls and tolls.
All the doctors who have examined her (and there have been many – this is a teaching hospital) seem to think the tumors in the liver are growing faster than anticipated. They are also very concerned about the fever. So now we wait for answers.
I was supposed to leave this morning on a six day trip but that is now cancelled and I’m working the phone and email to stay in touch.
We really appreciate your prayers on our behalf and ask that you join us in thanking God for the miracle that in 11 months, this is our first encounter with these kind of consequences from the cancer that is growing in Lois!
Watch for more updates as we learn more!